The first Senior Cake was buried by the class of 1925. There was a great deal of class rivalry in those days. For instance, the Class of '27 kidnapped the Class of '26's president so that he could not attend the important Washington Banquet. Fortunately, he was rescued through a broken basement window just in time to attend.
From 1925 to 1943 the cake had been discovered only twice--the class of 1938 dug through six inches of concrete and three feet of clay to bring forth the prized cake. The Class of 1937 allowed the Tower editor, Carl F.H. Henry, to sell their senior cake once it was unearthed to raise funds for the following year's yearbook. Pieces were sold for a dollar a piece. [That must have been some desirable fruitcake!]
Various locations that the cake had been buried were the backyard of the Missionary House (1925), near Williston Hall by the original dining hall parking lot (1943), along the sidewalk between Blanchard Hall, Pierce and Adams Hall (1926), "seventy-five feet from the big tree at the turn of the front campus path" (1937), and, near the southwest corner of Blanchard Hall (1938).