Dothan

Dothan, located sixty miles north of Jerusalem, was the site of Wheaton's first international study program. Initiated in 1951 with a $1,000 grant from trustee Philip Howard and the Sunday-School Times, Wheaton's Archaeology program, begun in 1936 by Dr. Joseph Free, started excavating this historic site. Dothan was the area where Joseph's brothers watered their flocks and where they sold Joseph into slavery to Midianite merchants. This site was rich in ancient artifacts ranging in date from 3000 B.C. to 200 A.D. Excavations continued until 1964. Many of the artifacts uncovered are housed in Wheaton's Archaeology Museum.
Comments