Conservatory

The Conservatory of Music at Wheaton College has been present in some form since the begging of the Illinois Institute, in 1853. At that time there was no formalized music program, but there was instruction in music, and in 1857 the Illinois Institute had its first music director, Freeborn Garretson Baker. According to the 1921-1922 Bulletin of Wheaton College the Conservatory of Music had existed since 1860, but the earliest mention of the term "Conservatory" is found in the 1881-1882 Bulletin. Since that time the Conservatory has grown considerably, having moved from Blanchard into the “New Chapel” (Pierce) in 1927, and then having its own building, McAlister Hall, built in 1962. In 1937 the Conservatory became a member of the National Association of Schools of Music. Wheaton College’s Conservatory of Music keeps growing, supporting multiple choirs, an orchestra, and several musical ensembles that perform regularly throughout the school year, as well as travel around the world giving concerts in many countries. The Conservatory also runs the Artist Series as Wheaton College that continually brings to Wheaton’s campus internationally famous musicians, composers, and performers for widely acclaimed performances.
Comments